News08.04.2009 - GIOVANNI MARIA FARINA: EAU DE COLOGNE...
Eau de Cologne is a spirit-citrus perfume launched in Cologne in 1709 by Giovanni Maria Farina (1685-1766), an Italian perfumer from Santa Maria Maggiore Valle Vigezzo, Italy. In 1708, Farina wrote to his brother Jean Baptiste: "I have found a fragrance that reminds me of an Italian spring morning, of mountain daffodils and orange blossoms after the rain" (Eckstein p.8). He named his fragrance Eau de Cologne, in honour of his new hometown.
The Original Eau de Cologne composed by Farina was used only as a perfume and delivered to "nearly all royal houses in Europe" (Farina Fragrance Museum information leaflet). His ability to produce a constantly homogenous fragrance consisting of dozens of monoessences was seen as a sensation at the time. When free trade was established in Cologne by the French in 1797, the success of Eau de Cologne prompted countless other businessmen to sell their own fragrances under the name of Eau de Cologne and even Farina.
Giovanni Maria Farina's formula has been produced in Cologne since 1709 by Farina opposite the Jülichplatz and to this day remains a secret. His shop at Obenmarspforten opened in 1709 and is today the world's oldest fragrance factory. Other Colognes, such as the famous Cologne 4711, named after its location at "Glockengasse No. 4711", have the name in common but smell different. In 1806, Jean Marie Joseph Farina, a grand-grand-nephew of Giovanni Maria Farina (1685-1766), opened a perfumery business at Paris that developed into Roger & Gallet, that owns the rights to Eau de Cologne extra vielle in contrast to the Original Eau de Cologne from Cologne.
Eau de Cologne, or just "cologne", has now become a generic term...
- » (12.09.2009) - MOSTRA DEL CINEMA DI VENEZIA
- » (12.09.2009) - INVERNO UOMO 2010
- » (12.09.2009) - CANALIS-CLOONEY 2009
- » (12.09.2009) - SEX and THE CITY 2
- » (04.09.2009) - CLAUDIA SCHIFFER NUDA SU TANK MAGAZINE
- » (01.09.2009) - DONNA AUTUNNO/INVERNO 2009-2010
- » (20.08.2009) - CAPELLI CURATI DOPO LE VACANZE
- » (18.08.2009) - COCACOLA LIGHT TRIBUTE TI FASHION
- » (30.07.2009) - ALTA SARTORIA NAPOLETANA
- » (04.06.2009) - IL LUSSO SECONDO IL TURISTA RUSSO...
- » (04.06.2009) - Proibito visitare i siti archeologici della Grecia con i tacchi
- » (04.06.2009) - PARIGI VAL BENE SOSTENERE LE VACANZE DEI GIOVANI!
- » (04.06.2009) - SCARPE DI IERI E DEL FUTURO IN MOSTRA
- » (01.06.2009) - Wynona Ryder su Elle UK LUGLIO
- » (08.05.2009) - MR HACKETT
- » (08.05.2009) - CREATIVITA' ORGANICA
- » (06.05.2009) - BONTON DELLO SBADIGLIO...
- » (05.05.2009) - THE TAG
- » (18.04.2009) - MODA MARE 2009!
- » (08.04.2009) - WELCOME FOULARD?!...